Hewy's Animated Movie Reviews: The Top 10 Scariest Animated Monsters
In this very special episode, Hewy Lewis is joined by two special guests as they count down the scariest monsters in animation history.
Date And Time: 2013-02-02 01:07:07Comment:
@Kurvos, Have you've seen all 3 Jurassic Park movies lately? The first one was an amazing film in susspence, action, drama, story, and special effects, it was sometimes hard to tell the cg dinosaurs from the moddel puppet ones, and it taught a solid lesson not to tinker with the laws of nature. The Lost World, while not containing some of the stuff that the first film had, but it did expand on the story and in both films, they at least tried their hardest on the story. The 3rd film, the story, suspence, and animation was weak and aside from the raptors, you could easily tell whether the dinosaurs were special effects and when they were animated. Also, we all are willing to except the fact that Spinosaurus was bigger and stronger than T-Rex in another movie or a documentary, but this is "Jurassic Park." T-Rex is the star of the franchise. I may not dislike the 3rd film as much as everyone else, but I can understand why everyone else doesn't like the film.
Date And Time: 2012-09-22 09:39:13Comment:
"Take that, Jurassic Park 3!"
... ugh, that remark almost ruined this top list to me. -_-' Seriously - why are T-Rex fans so butthurt that Spinosaurus killed of a T-Rex in Jurassic Park 3? Oh boohoo.
I am sorry - but it makes you come of as being a whiny child. It's just simply juvenile, plain and simple.
Date And Time: 2012-07-21 13:59:06Comment:
My top 10 monsters as a whole would have to be this.
10. Bagorah from the Godzilla Dark horse series. A giant bat from space with a sonic scream and an appetite problem. What more could you want?
9. The Hydra from Hercules: Giant, lumbering at times but could be fast if it wanted to and its scene was the best action scene in a G-rated Disney film.
8. Irys from Gamera: Alien in appearance and a debatable motive. Not only that but her design was just awesome.
7. Hordeshyrde from Beowulf: The best depiction of the dragon from the old epic. Although I'm getting tired of the typical wyvern designs that dragons in films have now these days.
6. Vermithrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer: The scariest and at the same time, most badass dragon ever to grace to silver screen.
5. Neltharion/Deathwing from Warcraft: Former Aspect of the Earth, bringer of the Cataclysm, most evil dragon ever to be featured in an MMO. Alduin from Skyrim ain't got nothing on him.
4. The Sandworms from Dune: Before the Graboids and Jeff the Worm, these were the very things we had to worry about as we walked across the sand. Also the Fremen riding these worms into battle was just awesome.
3. Maleficent (dragon) from Sleeping Beauty: She has the best design of any dragon. In fact, her design is the first thing that comes to my mind when I say dragon.
2. The Red Death from How to Train your Dragon: Lot of great buildup for this monster. Basically, it's the closest thing Dreamworks has for a giant monster on the loose. Not only that but the aerial fight between it, Hiccup and Toothless was just breathtaking, especially in 3-D Imax.
1. Godzilla: Allegory of nuclear holocaust, scourge or savior of Tokyo, humanity's greatest nightmare, Kaiju Alpha, King of the Monsters, worldwide icon and most of all, my childhood icon. In the words of Mark Hamill (Yes, Hamill likes Godzilla) "Long may he stomp!" Really looking forward to the reboot and am currently reading the new comic series from IDW Publishing.
Date And Time: 2012-07-20 20:37:35Comment:
10. I liked Smaug's boast but when I saw his design, I was really disappointed because I imagined him looking more reptilian, sort of a sleeker version of Bryaugh from Flight of the Dragons. 9. Yeah, this thing looks cool but c'mon, IT'S A BULL ON FIRE! I can't help but think that if that thing were to be killed it would already be grilled to perfection. The graphic novel depiction has it looking like a bull made out of magma. 8. Damn this guy was awesome. He was just so freaking badass. 7. When it woke up I jumped. Also, if there's a bird-shaped thing in a dead volcano, DON'T TOUCH IT! 6. That thing didn't look like T-Rex, it looked more like Allosaurus. T-Rex had TWO fingers. Not 3. 5. Monstro to me was just like Chernabog, when he showed up it was just awesome! 4. I thought Sharptooth was undeniably badass. Yeah he did cross the line at killing Littlefoot's mother but he was just awesome. 3. I have nothing to say about this guy. 2. Pffft. She had an epic villain song and was funny but Cthulhu would kill her in a snap of the fingers. 1. PFFT! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You were scared of that thing? I saw the special when I was younger and he made me laugh! I can tell you what DID scare me as a kid. King Cobra from Godzilla the Series. Why? HE WAS A GIGANTIC COBRA WHO BLINDED ZILLA JR WHO WAS THE MOST POWERFUL MONSTER IN THAT SHOW! Also his roar was flat-out disturbing. It was like a hiss and a moan.
Name: Aqua Stella
Date And Time: 2012-07-03 00:52:26Comment:
I am going to start my own movie reviews called side chooser and I was wondering if you not just be in it but help me with production. i don't have the proper equipment to do it. if you help me I will let you be in the videos.
Date And Time: 2012-06-08 16:44:18Comment:
Monstro actually helps you fight for the good of the Disney Universe in SMK at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World
Date And Time: 2011-10-01 15:06:24Comment:
What about everything in Resident Evil, D, Enemy Zero and the SAX. They're all pretty scary but if you want to do another list I have a suggestion; Top 10 creepiest scenes in animated movies or games if you're interested.
Date And Time: 2011-08-31 00:00:45Comment:
Pretty good list. Not sure about #1 but overall it's a good list. My favourite line from this review "It's somewhat scary, somewhat cute and somewhat retarded". Cracked me up XD.
Date And Time: 2011-08-18 14:19:15Comment:
Stop at 12:22, THAT IS THE FUNNIEST FACE I'VE EVER SEEN! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Date And Time: 2011-07-23 12:35:02Comment:
I'll give you someone scary! THE SAX (Samus Aran X Metroid Fusion) DARK GAIA (Sonic Unleashed) OMEGA METROID (Metroid Fusion) and so on!
Date And Time: 2011-04-16 12:01:54Comment:
the abominable snowman is not scary
Date And Time: 2011-03-21 13:12:28Comment:
the red bull,not to be confused with the energy drink.JAJAJA XD LOL
Date And Time: 2011-01-29 17:13:44Comment:
Dude, what about general woundwart from watership down?! he was scarier than most of these guys but I admit, great list! Another scary scene is arguably from all dogs go to heaven the hell sequence with that god creepy boat! Oh and the gremlins duh!
Date And Time: 2010-10-27 14:47:13Comment:
Okay, here are my opinions of the countdown.
10. Now, over a year ago, my class was going over Tolkienís works, so weíve watched this movie. I must admit, Smaug was a really cool dragon. Mostly because of his voice actor.
9. I have never seen this movie before. Although Iíve heard about it 3 years ago. The red bull does look scary. You should take a look at other bulls.
8. Chernabog. I remember him. He sure was scary. Maybe. I need to trample over Eisner myself.
7. I now understand. It would have scared me too if I saw it in theatres. I need to watch Fantasia 2000. Look at other birds of fire.
6. Oh yeah, I remember him-uh, it. Yes, Fellow, The Rite of Springs is my favorite Fantasia segment. I like dinosaurs, too.
5. Monstro does deserve to be on the list. But he didnít scare me at all when I was younger. Other things scared me in Pinocchio.
4. Wow, he sure does deserve to be on this list. More dinosaurs!
3. I have never heard about him before. Although one monkey did scare me when I was younger. A group of them.
2. Ursula, yes, she is really scary, but not to me. Although, when I was younger, it was King Triton that scared me.
1. Oh yeah, this monster. I remember him from a long time ago. He also gave me the creeps, especially when he sank into the water.
There could have been more scary monsters on the list, but, oh well.
Name: MATTHEW FLAATHEN
Date And Time: 2010-10-24 20:04:09Comment:
DEAR HEWY LEWIS/LOGIN,
WILL YOU REVIEW THE NEW YU-GI-OH MOVIE COMING NEXT SPRING
Date And Time: 2010-10-20 00:15:09Comment:
Some that jump to mind: Oogie Boogie (Nightmare Before X-mas), The Red Bull (The Last Unicorn), Evil Boar (Princess Monoke), Anglerfish (Finding Nemo), Mouse of Minsk (An American Tale), Wicked Queen (Snow White)... she counts b/c of the FREAKY transformation scene into the old hag... Cell (DBZ)...
I didn't think Smaug was the scariest in the movie or the book, he just gets extra points b/c he one of the few creatures that can't be controlled by Sauron... but in that category I find the spiders to be scarier...
OUCH! Don't screw w/Micheal Eisner! Seriously... Disney is MEAN when it comes to lawsuits... and their pockets are DEEP... I don't blame Chernabog for sitting down...
The firebird is frightening...
Monstro is scary, but I was always more afraid of Strombolli and the Wicked Coachman...
Awww... I always thought the Snowman was cute... he was scary for like a few seconds, but after that he was just... cute...
Date And Time: 2010-09-21 15:07:36Comment:
Nice list, but was there just no room for the bear from "The Fox and the Hound"?
Date And Time: 2010-09-08 18:17:26Comment:
Nice list, but to me, the #1 scariest monster is the Wolf from "Disney's Peter and the Wolf segment from "Make Mine Music." With those red and yellow demon-eyes, those sharp teeth, that aligator snout,all of that drool tripping out of his mouth,and those close-up of him that maked you think that he's going to eat you.Heck,I'm still scared of him, that I'm afraid to see his face in front of me when I look at my bedroom window.
Date And Time: 2010-09-04 14:14:00Comment:
What about La Gooth from Kyomu Senshi Miroku
Date And Time: 2010-06-09 01:38:51Comment:
The Devil from All Dogs Go To Heaven. Full stop.
Date And Time: 2010-04-16 10:02:59Comment:
My Top 10 Scariest Animated Monsters list:
10. Fidget (The Great Mouse Detective) - I don't know why, but when I was a little girl I found this guy incredibly scary. Now I just find him sort of cute.
9. Ursula (The Little Mermaid) - Not really scary until the end, then goddamn!
8. Anglerfish (Finding Nemo) - OK, I was almost 14 when this movie came out, and I had to hide my eyes at this scene.
7. Kaa (The Jungle Book) - A big reason why I'm afraid of snakes to this day.
6. Jafar as a giant snake (Aladdin) - Another big reason snakes freakin' scare me.
5. The Firebird (Fantasia 2000) - Holy crap, was this bird scary!
4. The Hyrda (Hercules) - When I was a kid, my parents had to fast-foward through that scene because I was so afraid of the Hydra. I mean, it's basically a big snake with legs! YEE!
3. Monstro (Pinocchio) - I first saw this movie when I was about 3, and I couldn't swim in the ocean for about a year afterwards.
2. Maleficent as a dragon (Sleeping Beauty) - Agreed, dragons are awesome, but THIS dragon was just a plain freak! I mean, she turned into a dragon using the powers of Hell! That's pretty badass if you ask me!
1. Chernabog (Fantasia) - Goddamn, is this guy frightening! That music will haunt me forever.
Pretty good list, Hewy! BTW, Dzilla, where'd you get the Sharptooth? I want one!
Date And Time: 2010-04-02 11:08:40Comment:
The abominable snow monster isn't scary. Just like the banshee wasn't scary in darbie o'gill in nostalgia critic's Scariest nostalgic moments.
Date And Time: 2010-02-25 20:43:49Comment:
My top 12 for the most part similar to yours Hewy but a few surprise choices since I also reach towards anime: 12. Smaug 11. The Red Bull, 10. Gigantic the gorilla 9.Chernabog, 8. Monstro 7. The blood bottler from the BFG, 6. Ursula, 5. Wapol from One Piece, 4. Majin Buu from DBZ, The Firebird, 2. Orochimaru from Naruto, and my number 1 you're gonna get on my case for it but General Woundwort from Watership Down (1978)
Name: Robert Larsson
Date And Time: 2009-12-20 08:41:45Comment:
Good list but I think you oversed some. Why didīt Hydra(Hercules)or Carnotaurus(Disney:Dinosaur)come on the list?
but overal it is one of your better works,the devil have been proud.
sorry for my bad spelling,I live in Sweden.
Name: Daniel Laux
Date And Time: 2009-09-18 18:38:02Comment:
Dear Mr. Lewis,
I am a huge fan of your videos. I liked this list, but I don't agree with #1. Here's my list:
10: The Mechanical Shark (James & the Giant Peach)
9: The Greedy (Raggedy Ann & Andy's Musical Adventure)
8: The Stone Jaguar (The Road to El Dorado)
7: The Red Bull (The Last Unicorn)
6: Maleficent in Dragon form (Sleeping Beauty)
5: The Hydra (Hercules)
4: The Evil Boar (Princess Mononoke)
3: The Anglerfish (Finding Nemo)
2: The Firebird (Fantasia 2000)
1: Tie between Chernabog (Fantasia) & the Nightmare King (Little Nemo)
I agree that Sharptooth & Ursula are great villains. I'm more of a fan of supernatural monsters, which is why the monsters on my list are mythical creatures & not real creatures like Monstro (a whale) or Gigantic (a gorilla). Also, I was never really scared by the Abominable Snowmonster. But now that I think about it, he hates everything about Christmas. I think that's pretty evil, especially since I'm Catholic & Christmas is a very important holiday to me. It's a good thing we don't see him try to destroy Baby Jesus in a Nativity Scene. That would make him even more bad.
Date And Time: 2009-06-19 23:16:28Comment:
"Somewhat scary, somewhat cute, somewhat retarded" is the Snowman in a nutshell. To me it always looked like an albino hippie.
#1 Scariest Animated Monster = The Boogie Man from The Real Ghostbusters animated series.
Date And Time: 2009-06-16 21:14:59Comment:
Good list. Bit surprised by the final result. Overall, not too bad.